Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Separate Yet Together


   Does a sense of community improve one's chances of success?
   I photographed a man whose company provided office spaces to entrepreneurs. Most of his tenants were tech innovators from the Boston area. They were starting businesses from scratch.
   They worked in rooms along a corridor. Common spaces included eating areas, conference rooms, copy machines, and so forth.
  Compare this setting to starting a business from one's home. Money is saved by staying put. Working at home avoids commuting hassles.
  My sense is that an office setting with like minded people is preferable. Camaraderie develops.  Contacts get made. Sometimes contacts lead to future opportunities.
   I am a photographer penning a novel. Unlike photography, writing is a lonely endeavor. Hours are spent alone in my attic. It'd be cool if someone created an office setting for writers. For a modest price, I'd rent a space where other writers toil. Fellowship would bolster my resolve.
   Camaraderie improves the odds of success.

No comments:

Post a Comment