Monday, March 10, 2014

Fearing Strangers


   The cattle got nervous.  Their walking pace sped up. Some of them strayed too far into the road. Their cowboy handlers--driving ATV's and trucks--looked worried.
   It was rural South Dakota. The cows were moving from one pasture to another. They had probably walked that road dozens of times. But this day was different. A stranger--me--had appeared nearby. The cows were spooked. I worried they might stampede.
   People, like cattle, are naturally wary of strangers. This fear is built into our hard wiring. Fear of strangers is unpleasant but necessary to survival.
   Back home, I've stood behind curtains and eyed strangers passing by on the sidewalk. I'd thought to myself, What's wrong with me, lurking in shadows and staring at people? Nothing is wrong me with. We all must behave that way in our neighborhoods.
   I backed away from the cattle. They settled down. 

No comments:

Post a Comment