Friday, March 7, 2014

Racing Against Time


   On three occasions this week, I was reminded of my mortality.
   Driving by a cemetery, I noticed a burial hole dug for someone new.
  On Ash Wednesday, a priest rubbed ashes on my forehead. He said, "Remember you are dust and unto dust you shall return."
   A newspaper article cited research about the fear of death. It asserted that devoutly religious people fear death the least.
   For me, a devout Roman Catholic, the article rings true. But there's a caveat. What scares me the most isn't dying per se. What scares me is dying before I've pursued goals that would please God.
   Not all goals are achieved. God must know this. Surely he appreciates souls who had pursued worthy goals even if they hadn't achieved them. 
   Better to die walking on a righteous path than standing on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment