Monday, March 31, 2014

Nurturing a Reputation

   An employee inspected a painting for physical defects. He scrutinized the frame and hanging hardware. Imperfections were recorded. His condition report was prepared in a storage room at the Norman Rockwell Museum in Massachusetts.
   The artwork was on loan from another collection. By recording defects upon the painting's arrival, the museum could not be accused of causing defects. The institution's reputation--and to some extent the man's reputation--would remain intact.
   The employee left the room for a spell. I felt uncomfortable being there alone. Next to me were racks of artwork in movable storage slots (seen in the background of the photo). They housed Norman Rockwell originals. If new imperfections were ever discovered on those paintings, suspicion might fall on me. My reputation would be compromised.
   Was my concern far fetched? Perhaps. But I'm sure other photographers would react as I did.
   Reputations require nurturing. In the blink of an eye, a reputation can be damaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment