Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Canoe Man

    Public relations flacks hovered around me. I was about to photograph the CEO and founder of a major high tech company. They told me to work fast. Conversation should be held to a minimum.
    The PR ladies accompanied me to the man’s office. Once inside, they stood beside the wall. They watched. They listened. They waited for a misstep. I worried they’d attempt to control my composition.
    Pictures of family members with canoes adorned the man's walls. A paddle leaned against paneling.
    The dude was a canoeist!
    Right away, I brought up the subject of canoeing. I told him about my canoeing trip to Manitoba. He told me where some of his pictures on the wall were taken.
    We were hitting it off. 
    The PR crew silently watched. They weren’t happy. I was going off their script.
    The formalities ran their course. I posed the man beside his desk. At the last second, I noticed his tie wasn’t straight. I walked up, reached for his tie, and adjusted it.
    The PR ladies were mortified. The executive didn’t mind.
    Time for portrait taking. I worked fast with the camera. Things went smoothly.
    Executive portrait sessions often include time constraints. But there’s always wiggle room for a conversation.
    Common courtesies should never be neglected.

No comments:

Post a Comment