Friday, September 25, 2015

Anybody Home?

Animal's hole visible at base of tree. Location is the Berkshire Mountains of Massachusetts.
    Early morning deep in a forest.
    I awoke under a tarp. To my surprise, the entrance to a wild animal’s den lay within spitting distance. Was anybody home? A fox? A family of skunks? A coyote? My furry neighbors never showed themselves.
    They must have been curious about me. My scent may have been unfamiliar. Perhaps they’d never seen a human being. 
    This location was off the grid, a blank spot on a topographic map. Belts of mountain laurel flanked the area. No footpaths led through. Bushwhacking was necessary.
    On the previous evening, I hadn’t noticed the den. My attention was distracted by a sense of urgency. Night was coming on. Firewood needed fetching. Complications arose while setting up the tarp. One thing after another.
    People go camping to enjoy a respite from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. But they can ever escape busyness. There’s always something that needs tending to before settling in.
    Hustle and bustle is a necessary prerequisite to rest and relaxation.

No comments:

Post a Comment