Wednesday, January 7, 2015

More Than a Shirt

     My sleeve was torn. The flannel shirt was showing its age. It would not be thrown out.
     I asked my mother, 91 years old, to sew the tear. She readily agreed.
     Her eyes aren’t what they used to be. Threading the needle was a challenge. After overcoming that hurdle, she mended the sleeve in no time flat. She used a scissor that’s been in the family for years. I’m wearing the shirt while typing this entry.
     Mom enjoyed the task. That’s because helping other people fulfills her. I suppose that attitude is commonplace among the elderly.
      Most people are good about assisting the elderly in their lives. On occasion it’s better to reverse the roll. Ask the elderly for their assistance. Doing so enriches their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment