Tuesday, September 24, 2013

River of Happiness

I photographed this man siting on the bank of a river near my home.
   When I need a dose of tranquility, I visit a river. It's so small that most people don't know it exists.
   What makes this river appealing is a floodplain surrounding it. I can observe details of nature up close, far back, and in between. 
   My preference for this river could be more than subjective. It might be ingrained. Here's what research suggests:
   Humans prefer open landscapes. But not wide open. They want things physical things interspersed, like trees, nooks and crannies, and whatever. A diversity of terrain lends mystery and character to a setting. Mixed savannah is considered the ideal.
   I believe that viewing open scenery--but not too open--recharges one's sense of well being. It contributes to happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment