Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Friends of the Dead


   At first, the burial ground looked ordinary. Old headstones stood near the road. Newer ones stood farther back.
   Under normal circumstances I would have driven past. Not this time. I was driving in Georgia to research a novel. The burial ground was located near where the novel begins. What better a setting for a plot than a burial ground? (Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun).
   I pulled over and walked among the deceased. 
   What first intrigued me were the oldest gravestones. They were mere rocks. Some of them could be lifted with one hand. No names or epitaphs were etched on them.
   That's right, no names.
   Here's what intrigued me the most. Artificial flowers stood beside some of those rocks.
   What motivates people to place flowers beside the graves of unknown dead from one-and-a-half centuries ago? I can't answer that question, but it's nice to know such caring people exist in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment