Sunday, March 24, 2013

Chinese Food for Thought





   I froze in place, staring down at a bowl of wonton soup. A thought informed me that I ought to refrain from eating the soup. Wanton contains pork. Catholics like me don't eat meat on Fridays during Lent.
   Every Lent I've experienced these last second reminders about fasting. Once, when a hamburger entered my mouth, but before I chomped down on it, a reminder popped into my head.
   Whenever these reminders strike, I'm filled with wonderment. Are they natural functions of brain activity? Or do spiritual entities convey these messages?
   Last Friday had been difficult. Lots on my mind. My elderly father was sick, very sick. My mother needed emotional support. Taking her to a Chinese buffet eased the stress. Amid the clutter in my cranium, a reminder about fasting rose to the fore.
   Some people might consider it silly, but I suspect that these reminders come from a guardian angel. Heeding the angel's message, I poured the soup back into its pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment