Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Bloom and Wither

   What's that thing on Mary?
   Last week the question popped into my head while I strolled about a shrine near my home. A statue of the Virgin Mary was white. The field where she stood was white from snow. It's no wonder that a dark object would catch my attention from afar.
   I tromped through ankle deep snow the statue. There I determined the identity of the object. It was a rose and stem. Someone had affixed it to rosary beads wrapped around the Virgin's hands.
   Alas, the flower had wilted.
  Surely it was blooming when placed there. Since then it had endured awful weather--multiple snowstorms, a whopper of a blizzard, and bouts of rainfall. Yet there it hung, wilted and persistent.
   Imagine that, a withered flower raising my spirits on a raw winter day.

No comments:

Post a Comment