Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Why Do I Visit a Shrine?



   One of my favorite places to visit is Our Lady of Fatima Shrine in Massachusetts. Last night there I photographed Christmas lights.  
   When strolling those grounds and praying, I feel closer to God.
   Does psychology explain this reaction? By exposing myself to a concentration of religious statuary, along with a peaceful setting, do I delude myself into believing that God or His spirits are closer?
   With respect to Fatima, I don't accept the psychological explanation.
   Shrines are sacred. Miracles happen at shrines and holy places. These miracles don't happen often, but their frequency is greater than elsewhere. That track record suggests that God and His celestial hosts are more active, and receptive, when mortals communicate to them from shrines.
   It's true that some miracles can be debunked with scientific evidence and reasoning. But empiricism can't and never will explain all miracles.
   We all have hangouts. Spirits might too.

No comments:

Post a Comment