Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Candyjack Elf





   A lumberjack elf wields an ax. He chops a candy cane.
   This Christmas display is visible on a property near my neighborhood. The homeowners have a reputation for creativity. Each holiday season they introduce new displays.
   Researchers who study creativity are raising alarm bells. Tests reveal that creativity is declining among children in the United States. The downturn began in 1990.
   Some experts blame standardized testing. Others point their fingers at information overload. One expert cites lack of freedom--little time to play and explore free of adult supervision.
   Researcher Kyung Hee Kim claims that stunted creativity affects kids in other ways. They are (to paraphrase her) less expressive, less sensitive, less humorous, less imaginative, and less unconventional.
   Here's an assumption I'd bet upon: Whoever created that candyjack elf didn't grow up peering at smart phones.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris, I just found this blog! I got your Christmas card that said you were covering the 2012 campaign, so I googled your name and "campaign photographer." I hope you are doing well. Thank you for the card! I have been meaning to get back into the habit of sending out Christmas cards. I have mostly been doing facebook and posting photos there. Anyhow, how is Millis? Say hi to Loretta and Jack for me. Have you published any books yet? have you ever talked to Candace? nancy driscoll stroup - nancydriscollstroup@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete