Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Are We Hardwired to Believe in God?

    Photo: Crosses on a church property seen through a windshield during 'Superstorm Sandy.'
    
    Bushes uprooted by wind skidded across the highway in front of me. Rain splattered against my windshield. Tractor trailers driven by maniac drivers gunned by on the left, worsening the turbulence in the air.
     As 'Superstorm Sandy' raged against the passenger side of my car--the side facing Lake Erie--I whispered a prayer for protection.
     Near Sandusky, Ohio the tempest subsided. My white knuckles relaxed.
     I can't know if my prayer for help was answered two nights ago. Perhaps it was cautious driving alone that got me through those churns of wind on Interstate 90.
     Some researchers claim our brains are hardwired to believe in supernatural forces. If so, where does this hard wiring originate?
      One theory making the rounds is that supernatural belief, and the concept of religion, derives from evolution. Primitive people joined together in rituals. By forming into groups and associating with each other, their odds of survival increased. Call it strength in numbers.
     Or does an innate belief in the supernatural originate from a divine source?
     One thing's for sure. The next time I face a dicey situation, I'll ask for God's protection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment