Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Yellow Lines


     On a drizzly Friday afternoon I drove to a library. Lots of parking spaces were available. To avoid getting wet, I hustled from my car into the building.
     Two hours later the rain had stopped. I strolled back to the car.
     A sheet of paper was inserted between the windshield and a wiper blade. Someone had written me a note.
     I lifted the paper. The words were fuzzy from wetness.  Here's what the message said, although I can't remember the exact wording:
     Dear Out of State Visitor, In Minnesota we park between yellow lines, not across them. Please be courteous the next time you visit. Have a nice day.
     Yeah right.
     I looked at the parking lot. The place was pretty much empty.
     My reaction was indignant. Was this snippy message a reflection of the Germanic / Scandinavian culture prevailing in Minnesota? Those Nordic folk are known for their orderliness. And for their conformity.
     Later I chilled. My attitude changed. I realized that by ignoring those yellow lines, I was scorning a code of etiquette. 
     Nowadays I double check rather than double park. 

No comments:

Post a Comment