Monday, October 8, 2012

Clippity Clop


     I  banged a uey. That's how people from Boston, where I come from, describe a U-turn.
     My situation was urgent. Well, sort of. I wanted to position myself for a photo. A horse and cart would soon pass by a collection of pumpkins at a farmstand.
     I'd seen Amish people in this area of Ohio. It's not cool photographing them up close. But it's okay taking photos of their buggies.
     Amish society emphasizes 'Gelassenheit,' a catchphrase for humility, modesty, and an aversion to self promotion. What a refreshing change from our culture where assertiveness is celebrated over meekness.
     Several buggies passed by.
     Then a different model of buggy approached. Unlike the others, this one didn't have a storm front. An elderly Amish couple sat on the bench.
     They were visible.
     Clippity clop. Clippity clop. The hooves of their horses got louder. I stood on the other side of the road.
     The man's beard hung close to his belt. He wore a broad rimmed hat. A bonnet covered his wife's head. Their faces were etched with character. No doubt about it, this photo would look better as a tighter composition. Forget the pumpkins.
     Should I take the photo? Sure, the couple was recognizable, but I wouldn't zoom in on their faces. The horses would be included too.
     A lens rested in my hands. Not any old lens. The sucker was big--a photographic howitzer. It gets noticed.
     Clippity clop. Clippity clop. They eyed me. I watched them.
     Clippity clop. Crunch time.
     I didn't raise the camera.
     The man waved. I returned the gesture. We went our separate ways.
     Was the old timer conveying more than a greeting? Was he thanking me for not taking the photo?
     By posting this entry, am I publicly congratulating myself for my decision? If so, am I acting contrary to the spirit of Gelassenheit?

No comments:

Post a Comment