Saturday, January 2, 2016

Eccentrics

    A butcher caught my eye. He wore a turkey hat while serving customers at the supermarket. His garb was festive. Thanksgiving was right around the corner.
    Chances were, the man was an eccentric.
    Some people look down on eccentrics. They consider them weird. They ostracize them. When I was young, I too viewed eccentrics with less respect.
    That attitude changed back in the 1980’s. I attended a concert by The Clash, a British punk rock band. The singer’s name was Joe Strummer. During the show, the music stopped. Strummer went on a rant about eccentrics. He said they were misunderstood. He asserted that eccentrics were an asset to society.
    Eccentrics are more curious than most people. They’re creative. They got mischievous senses of humor. They often exhibit preoccupations.
    Their eccentricities bring cheer to people. For this reason, I wonder if eccentrics are happier than so called normal people.

No comments:

Post a Comment