Monday, January 25, 2016

Abusing Security

    Store Monitored by Closed Circuit Television
 That warning sign (seen in photo) hung above an aisle at the supermarket. The implication was clear. If I shoplifted, my action would be recorded.
    I am not a thief. And I don’t like being filmed on a video. But I tolerate the presence of security cameras. This store, after all, must deter thievery.
    But at some retail establishments, security cameras are used for additional purposes. They monitor the walking patterns of customers. They take note of which shelves their customers purchase goods from. This information has marketing value.
    Retail establishments should divulge if their security cameras are being used for other purposes. I’d support such a law. If convenient, I’d avoid stores that record my browsing habits.
    All to often, security and safety are used as excuses to infringe on our privacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment