Sunday, November 22, 2015

Random Hardships

Men inspect damage to a garage in Rhode Island.
    While photographing insurance appraisers, I noticed a married couple standing in the background. Their garage was torn up.
    Days earlier, that husband and wife were probably living quiet, unassuming lives. Just like me. They knew that bad things happen in the world. But the odds of a calamity striking them were remote.
    Until a hurricane destroyed their garage.
    Last week, a drunk driver slammed into my car. kaboom! I never saw him coming. The randomness of the crash spooked me. Since then, I’ve driven with greater caution.
    On the day following the car accident, I attended church. The gospel reading was appropriate: ‘Take heed, keep on the alert, for you do not know when the appointed time will come.’

No comments:

Post a Comment