Saturday, November 7, 2015

Pumpkin Harmony

My pumpkin heads toward a cashier at the market.
    My elderly mother was angry. She objected when I placed a Halloween pumpkin on the front porch. She said, “Some fresh kid will come along and smash it.”
   Years ago, her warning would have been valid. Teenagers sometimes grabbed pumpkins. Boys tossed them on streets. The vandalism usually happened at night. On the following day, chunks of pumpkins littered roads.
    Nowadays, boys here don’t smash pumpkins. Why the change in behavior?
    Is it because today’s youth culture isn’t rebellious anymore? Teens seem easier going.
    Or is technology a factor? Kids today often socialize online. Facebook over face time. When kids are tethered to smartphones, they’re less inclined to cause trouble.
  Years ago, teens hung out for real. They cruised together in cars. Smashing pumpkins was a cheap and easy thrill. Today, I rarely see teens cruising together.
    I’m glad the pumpkins are being left alone. Their presence reassures me that my town is a harmonious place to live.
My pumpkin occupies a visible spot on the front porch.

No comments:

Post a Comment