Saturday, August 23, 2014

Green Summit

     “Should we keep going?”
     I asked my eighteen year old niece that question while hiking up a mountain. Turning back made sense. Rain had begun falling. The steep and rocky trail would soon become slippery. But the summit was close, only minutes away.
     We agreed to push on. Soon we reached the top of Mount Frissell. It lies on the border of Connecticut and Massachusetts.
     Our achievement was anti climatic. The summit was covered with woods. It offered no viewpoints. Still, the lack of scenery did not diminish our satisfaction.
     Had I hiked alone, I might have turned around before reaching the summit.
     But hiking with someone else altered my outlook. My goal wasn’t only a summit. My goal was to strengthen the bond between myself and my niece. Thanks to the rainfall and the drama it created, my goal was achieved.
     Taking on obstacles together brings people together.

No comments:

Post a Comment