Wednesday, August 27, 2014

First Rapport, Then Composition

     Grasses cut in front of this man’s face. He approved of the concept.
     Many businessmen are cautious when it comes to portraiture. They won’t approve of objects visible between their faces and a camera. Nor would they pose on a beach while wearing a suit. In their minds, better safe than creative.
     Coaxing them into a unconventional pose is a challenge. The first thing I do is establish a rapport. My camera remains inside its bag. I engage in small talk. Nothing about the photo shoot is discussed.
     This chit chatty approach seems easy but it’s not. Time gets in the way. When arrangements are made over a telephone, a photo subject or his representative might ask for a quick portrait session.
     I don’t always heed that admonition. Experience tells me that after I show up, a person might grant me additional time. It depends on how well I establish rapport.
     An effective portrait is the result of rapport, composition, and lighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment