Tuesday, January 14, 2014

What is Conscience?

Rub marks are visible on the back panel of a Mercedes Benz I backed into.
   Oops! I backed my car into a Mercedes Benz. It was unoccupied in a parking lot. The damage to the Benz was cosmetic, a few rub marks on the back panel.
   Should I drive away? The Benz's insurance could handle the costs of repair.
   Or should I admit my guilt? That'd be risky. My insurance premium could increase.
  I looked around. Not a soul in sight. If I left the scene, nobody would know.
  My conscience kicked in. I penned a note identifying myself. I placed it under a wiper on the Benz.
  Hours later my phone rang. The owner of the Benz spoke with a foreign accent. He sounded like someone who'd grown up in Pakistan or India. I apologized for hitting his car. He expressed gratitude for my contacting him. We exchanged insurance information.
   Conscience is a GPS directing us on the road to righteousness. If we stray off course, it keeps telling us where to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment