Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Lure of Money

A stranger's offering, photographed after the fact.

   A stranger offered me a fifty dollar bill.
   It happened as I walked into a Walmart. The bill was folded, concealing most of the paper's surface. My reaction was suspicion. Nobody gives away that kind of cash.
  I told him, "Is that thing real? Or is this some kind of publicity gimmick?"
  He smiled. "Take it."
  Part of me wanted to accept the bill. Another part of me didn't. It felt unseemly to reach for cash when it probably wasn't cash.
   But what if the guy was legit? Fifty bucks is a lot of money. My defenses crumbled. I pulled the paper from his hand. I spread apart the folds. 
   Bummer! It wasn't real money. The paper was an advertisement for a tax preparation service.
   I turned to the stranger to express my disappointment. He no longer stood there. He had moved on to another sucker.
   By falling for his ploy, I'd sacrificed a smidgen of dignity. Next time I encounter such a circumstance, I'll say no. I'll recover that lost smidgen. 
   It's hard to ignore the illusion of free money.

No comments:

Post a Comment