Sunday, December 1, 2013

Too Much of a Good Thing?


   I slammed on my brakes and grabbed my camera. A formation of Canada geese had passed above the car. Rather than lowering the window--it would have taken too long--I took a 'Hail Mary' photo through the glass.
   When I was a child, that V formation was rarely seen here in New England. Or anywhere. Canada geese had become an endangered species. An effort was made to save them. It worked. The geese staged a comeback.
   At first I was thrilled to see geese returning to this region.
   Now they've become pests. They overrun ponds and lakes, fouling the water. They soil the grass in parks.
   People support the protection of wild animals. But they sing a different tune when turds foul their beaches and cling to their shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment