Saturday, December 21, 2013

Keeping it Real

Sign nailed to a tree on a home owner's property near my town.
   Someone put up a sign urging a simplification of Christmas. I couldn't agree more.
   No longer do I wander about malls, stressing over the purchase of gifts. My gifts are social outings. For example, my nephews and nieces are returning to this area on college vacation. I'll take them out, one at a time, to restaurants. Menus will be reasonably priced. Nothing fancy. 
   I've been doing this socializing-as-a gift for years. Relatives prefer them over material gifts.
   The sign reminded us that Christmas celebrates Christ's birth. On the eve of that holiday, I'll assemble a creche. It'll occupy a spot in the dining room. Before I go to bed, I'll gaze at the nativity scene and wish Jesus a happy birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment