Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Prayer Intentions

Notebook containing prayer intentions lays near statue of Virgin Mary.

   What do people ask the Virgin Mary for?
   I visited some Catholic churches near my home. Statures of the Virgin Mary stood in each one. Below them were notebooks. They contained prayer requests. I read them with fascination.
   Turns out, most people don't pray on behalf of themselves. They pray for other people. This observation surprised me. I assumed that petitioners would ask Mary for assistance with their own struggles and illnesses.
   A few did. Most requested help with mental health. Can Mary ease depression?
   Suffering is part of God's plan for us. Suffering teaches us humility and compassion. For that reason, I suspect lots of prayers don't get answered the way people want.
   But some do.
   Prayer is an act of humility. By exercising humility, we become happier.

Instead of words, someone penned in hearts.



No comments:

Post a Comment