Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Broken Symbol

   
   Guess what I'm pointing to? Hint. The object is attached to the top of a sports trophy.
   Give up? The object is the figure of a running shoe.
   The resemblance isn't obvious. The shoe once comprised part of a statue attached to the trophy. The statue depicted an athlete running. When the trophy took a spill, the statue broke off. Only the shoe survived.
   I received that trophy during high school. It commemorated achievements on a track team.
   For decades, the trophy lay in a box. It had lost it's appeal. I considered trashing it.
   Not any more.
  The trophy, in its damaged condition, has taken on a new symbolism. That running running shoe reminds me that I'm leaving behind footprints. Not the physical kind visible on sand. It reminds me that actions I perform leave footprints on the course of mankind.
   We're all leaving behind these footprints of our lifetimes. Some of these footprints contribute to the progression of goodness. Some of them hasten the spread of evil. Many actions we perform have little impact on humankind--a possible source of regret later in a life.
   When we stand before God for judgement, will he scrutinize these footprints we've left behind?


No comments:

Post a Comment