Friday, August 2, 2013

Above the Books

A librarian leads a tour of a new library in my town.
    I gazed straight up with amazement. It happened several times during a tour of a new library.
   In the periodical room I paid little attention to the magazines. Instead I looked up at the ceiling. In a main room I ignored the novels. My attention focused on a peaked ceiling. In all the rooms I visited, my eyes drifted upward.
   It wasn't ceilings per se that garnered my attention. Nor was it the things attached to them. Just the opposite. What amazed me was something I didn't see.
   Surveillance cameras.
   Imagine that, a public building constructed without cameras. To be sure, I spoke to the library director. She confirmed my observation. No cameras. No big brother. A respect for privacy.
   In previous blogs, I've expressed outrage at our government's increasing surveillance of citizens. Touring that library injected me with a measure of hope. In some towns of America, constitutional freedoms are still respected.
Lights on ceiling. No cameras.

No comments:

Post a Comment