Tuesday, April 16, 2013

A Crazy World?


   Shouting. Missing limbs. Strangers reaching out to strangers. That's what I heard and saw yesterday at the Boston Marathon. It began with students shouting encouragement and offering kisses to runners passing by Wellesley College.


   Wheelchair racers with no legs but plenty of grit defied exhaustion and cranked their push rims.


   Spectators reached their hands toward runners, offering high fives of encouragement.


   An elite runner shared a cup of water with a competitor.
   All those things happened at the half way point of the race.
   Later I heard about bombings near the finish line. There, an eight year old boy perished. I wondered how people can be so heartless. And so evil.
   An acquaintance contacted me, hoping I wasn't in Boston. I reassured her then added, "A crazy world we're living in."
   She replied, "It really is a crazy world!"
   Upon reflection, I realized that my reaction to her was wrong. What I witnessed yesterday was an outpouring of goodness by hundreds of spectators. The strength of character exhibited by the athletes was inspiring.
   Sure, there's crazies out there. But the world is not a crazy place. Watching a marathon, even one marred by tragedy, reminds me that most people are goodhearted and sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment