Monday, February 4, 2013

Where are People Always Friendly?


   Several years ago I thru hiked the Appalachian Trail. Some hikers struck me as especially friendly. A few of them were best avoided.
   While traveling abroad I've slept in hostels. Lots of friendly guests were encountered. The most affable guests hailed from Ireland, Australia, and the United States. Some guests were irritable.
   Social events hosted by churches are the only gatherings were almost everyone is friendly.
   I was reminded of this assumption last week. My Catholic parish held a 30th birthday party for it's organist and musical director (He's the person speaking in the photo).
   It happened on a Saturday night. The setting was an American Legion Post. No liquor. Nothing fancy. Fellowship and happiness marked the occasion.
   I've attended church socials at other religious denominations. The outpourings of warmth were equivalent.
   Participating in a church social is like swallowing a friendliness pill.

No comments:

Post a Comment