Thursday, February 21, 2013

Are Talented Artists Few in Numbers?


 
   This statue rubs me the wrong way.
   It depicts the ascension of Jesus to Heaven. His face is intriguing. The body language is effective. What disturbs me is the body itself. It's effeminate.
   I will admit that the statue is evocative. Lots of people will view it with high regard. It's located on the grounds of a Catholic retreat house in New England. (I took the photo early this month).
   Art is subjective. We've all heard that expression. It implies that quality is in the eye of the beholder. I'm skeptical about that outlook.
   Subjectivity can not defend mediocrity. Most art being created is mediocre. Only a small percentage of artwork is evocative (like that statue).
   Does this assertion represent cultural snobbery?
   Nope.
   I am searching online for a freelance artist. This person will be hired to illustrate the cover of a novel I'm writing. So far I've scrolled through hundreds of portfolios. Some of them appear at websites featuring dozens of artists.
    Most of the artwork I've reviewed is boring. There's a sameness to it.
   Only a minority--a slim minority--of artists grabbed my attention. It's no coincidence that they received the most compliments by visitors to those websites.Their artwork was superior.
   Each generation, only a few artists in the world create masterpieces that resonate with masses of people. Their artwork is celebrated long after they die. Why are these elite artists so few in numbers? Did God create it that way?

No comments:

Post a Comment