Saturday, January 12, 2013

Drive By Shooting

  
   Some people around the world think Americans are gun crazy. Are they correct or wrong?
   I've driven through lots of rural areas in this country. Few signs--or mailboxes--are pockmarked  from gunshots. One exception is that mailbox in the photo. I photographed it in South Dakota.
   Years ago, road signs often got targeted. That Wild West mentality has subsided. My sense is that most gun owners are responsible, peaceful, and law abiding.
   Hollywood pumps out movies depicting gun violence. The news media reports crimes involving guns. It's no wonder that people here in America, and beyond, get the impression that the United States is a shooting gallery.
   That impression is wrong. Sure, there's episodes of gun violence. Most Americans, myself included, are not affected by it.
   I do not own a firearm. Most people I'm acquainted with do not own firearms. Those citizens who exercise their their right to own guns neither threaten me or worry me.

No comments:

Post a Comment