Sunday, January 27, 2013

Balancing Acts


   On a frozen pond in Massachusetts, a boy learns how to skate. Milk crates and hockey sticks provide stability. 
   When I was a child, that pond is where my mother taught me how to skate. To assist me with balance, she held my hand. Sometimes she'd gently let go of it.   
   Decades have past. Mom is now elderly.
   I took her for a walk last week. We strolled along an icy pathway. She gripped the crook of my arm. I held her hand to keep her balanced. 
   I did not let go.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris, I keep forgetting to write back to your email! I did receive it. This blog post is very nice!

    You are lucky you were able to cover the presidential campaign. One of my friends from college is now a reporter with the Wash Post and he covered the campaign - a dream come true for him. nancy in ak

    ReplyDelete