Sunday, November 18, 2012

Shedding Light on Luck

   
     Is luck random? Or can we affect the frequency of luck happening?
     At the instant I took the photo seen above, someone activated a flash. An explosion of bluish light illuminated the audience in a dramatic way. The synchronicity between my camera and that flash was not planned.
     I got lucky.
     Luck is not random. The more proactive our behavior, the greater the odds of experiencing luck.
     Proactivity requires inertia which often encounters resistance. Sometimes this resistance comes in the form of laziness. Or it comes from factors apart from ourselves.
      Before snapping that photo I drove eighty-five miles to the arena. I was tired from being up late. Resistance came in the form of exhaustion.
     Once inside the building I wandered about in search of a shooting position. During this survey my movements were curtailed by security people. More resistance.
      Later, while shooting photos from my vantage point, people waving signs impeded my line of sight. Resistance yet again.
     I didn't get lucky in spite of resistance. I got lucky because of it.  
     Proactivity vs. resistance = a greater possibility of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment