Thursday, November 8, 2012

Reason for Voting

Voting on primary election day near Columbus, South Carolina

     Why do I vote?
     Ever since casting my ballot on election day, I've pondered that question. The answer boils down to this: I belong to a sacred trust.
     Sacred? The word implies something to do with God. How does the act of voting get lumped together with divinity?  
     Consider the preamble to the American Declaration of Independence: It states that people are '…endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.'
     Some people assert that God does not bestow rights. How could Thomas Jefferson, the writer of that declaration, know if God doles out rights? Assumptions aren't proof.
  What matters is this: Here in America, the right to liberty is regarded as unalienable; it comes from God. Because voting represents a tangible expression of that right, voting can be equated with sacredness.
     During some elections, the candidates or issues hold little interest to me. Yet I still make an effort to cast a ballot.
     What motivates me to vote is being part of a sacred trust passed down by Americans since 1776.

No comments:

Post a Comment