Monday, July 9, 2012

They'll Notice


     Curiosity led me into a room where I wasn't supposed to be.
     It happened two weeks ago while visiting Salt Lake City. I was touring Temple Square, the headquarters of the Church of Latter Day Saints, also known as the Mormon faith. (My religion is Roman Catholic).
     I pushed open a double door, sensing that I was straying off the tourist path. The entrance led me into a lecture hall. Mormon families with teenagers occupied the seats. Two teen girls--sister missionaries as they're called--were speaking up front.
     One of them said, "They'll notice." She went on to explain that when young people live out their faith, secular peers will notice them even if it's not obvious.
     'They'll notice.' That phrase isn't just for teenagers. It reminds me if anyone performs good deeds, however minor in the scheme of things, they will indeed have an impact.
     I recall driving on a back road in Minnesota. The landscape was monotonous. A mailbox came into view. Someone had placed a happy face beside it. That person's creativity brought me happiness.
     Just the other day we put flowers on the front porch. My street is busy with traffic. Most drivers won't notice the touch of beauty.
     But some will.

No comments:

Post a Comment