Tuesday, December 6, 2016

A New Target

On my porch, a metal box hides a light bulb.
    For decades, a metal box gathered dust in the cellar of my home. Nobody paid attention to this box. It was empty.
   Yesterday, I examined some words embedded into its side. They read Amm Box, 50 Cal M2. I looked up its meaning. The box once held ammunition for a Browning 50 caliber machine gun. M2 ammo was used during World War II.
    I don't know how the box ended up at my home. Perhaps it housed something my father had purchased. Military surplus must have been abundant back in the 1960's.
    During the Christmas season, this box has a new location. It lays on the floor of my porch. I placed a light bulb inside it. The light bulb illuminates a wreath. Thanks to the box and some tape, light does not spill every which way.
    An object intended for war now serves a better purpose--celebrating Christ's birth.
Ammo box and bulb pictured during daytime.

No comments:

Post a Comment