Saturday, October 8, 2016

Audio Overload

I took this photo at a high school field where, on another day, the announcer was too loud.
    I no longer enjoy watching sports. One reason is audio overload by announcers.
    This problem came to a head while I attended a high school football game. The announcer working the public address system was loud and incessant. He rarely shut up. I could barely converse with a friend beside me.
    Twice, the announcer drowned out the band as it performed during breaks in the action.
    The announcer’s motor-mouth ruined the fun.
    My friend agreed with this assessment. I suggested he write a letter about this problem to the editor of the local newspaper. My friend demurred. He didn’t want to anger people in his town.
    Fair enough. But I didn’t live there. So I write a letter to the editor. This letter explained in detail how the announcer’s relentlessness made it hard to enjoy the game. 
     My opinion incensed many people. Some of them wrote angry rebuttals in the newspaper.
    My phone rang during this period.
    “Hello,” I said.
    “You’re an a…hole! a woman said before hanging up.
     Anyone who challenges a status quo encounters fierce resistance.

No comments:

Post a Comment