Thursday, August 18, 2016

Busting their Humps

Ecuadorian immigrant labors on a roof in my town.
    Most roofing laborers, at least in this part of the nation, are immigrants. Many come from Ecuador. I had assumed they gravitated to roofer jobs because they are shorter in height than average, which means they’re less apt to fall.
    Turns out, there’s another explanation.
    Four Ecuadorians replaced shingles on a roof in my town. Their work ethic impressed me. Hour after hour, they toiled under hot conditions.
    I spoke to a contractor who hired this crew of Ecuadorians. He told me that shortness of height had nothing to do with their prevalence in the roofing trade. He hired them because American born workers won’t perform roofing jobs. The work is too hard for them.
    Back when I was a boy, American born white guys hammered shingles on roofs. They weren’t immigrants. And they weren’t adverse to busting their humps.
    Does a widespread aversion to hard labor indicate a nation in decline?
Ecuadorian wears wide brimmed hat for protection from sun.


No comments:

Post a Comment