Saturday, July 16, 2016

Pokemon Hot Spot

Boys and a young man play the game Pokémon Go at a town common in Massachusetts.
    I watched a zombie parade. It happened while sitting on a bench in Massachusetts.
    Passersby stared into smartphones. Unlike people in a real parade, these folks zigged and zagged in all directions. Some remained on walkways. Others cut across grass.
    They were playing Pokémon Go, a virtual game that uses real world locations. It's become a craze. Smartphones are required for playing.
    Yesterday was my first exposure to the phenomenon, even if I merely observed.
    I've often criticized the social ill effects of smartphones. This time I'll defer. The fixation on Pokémon doesn’t seem bad. Most folks played in groups of two or three. For example, the first participants I noticed were a man and girl, possibly siblings. Comparing them to zombies isn't fair.
    Exercising and playing together beats staring into phones, even if ironically this activity includes staring into phones.

No comments:

Post a Comment