Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Unpredictable Happiness

    The scene was tranquil.
    A waterfall gushed over a spillway. Geese dozed near a bystander. Just another day along the upper Charles River in Massachusetts. How could anything go wrong?
    Over the years, lot of things have gone wrong at this river and its tributaries. I’ve capsized several times while canoeing. My brother’s friend drowned while swimming. I’ve fallen through the ice with a dog. In the adjoining woods, a fellow hiker fell off a ledge and broke his foot. A blizzard of snow disoriented myself and a friend as we snowshoed.
    Good things have also happened, like wildlife sightings and spontaneous acts of fun with companions.
    Whenever I venture forth into nature, unforeseen circumstances occur. Most incidents are pleasant. Sometimes they’re bad. This unpredictability is welcomed. It relieves me from the humdrum of my life.
    Exposing oneself to unpredictability--now and then--contributes to happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment