Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Degrees of Friendliness

    While hiking on the Camino de Santiago, I encountered a married couple. They were pilgrims walking across Spain. Attached to the woman’s outfit was a flag of Brittany, a region of France where they lived.
    The Camino attracts pilgrims from all over the world. It’s like hiking in a melting pot. On one occasion, I engaged in a heartfelt conversation with a man from Hungary. On other occasions, I hiked beside people from Japan, Switzerland, and Netherlands, to name just a few.
    Most of the time, however, I hung out with fellow Americans. I found them to be among the most affable. The same friendliness was exhibited by pilgrims from South Africa, Ireland, and Australia.
    By contrast, many French pilgrims were rude and argumentative. People from Quebec, a province of Canada, also seemed aggressive. Englishmen came across as cynical. There were exceptions. That couple from Brittany couldn’t have been nicer.
    My journey across Spain reinforced a notion I’ve formed during other trips. The friendliest travelers in the world hail from South Africa, Ireland, Australia, and the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment