Monday, May 4, 2015

Principle Verses Principle

        The price was exorbitant. Sixteen dollars for an air filter. It would replace the old filter on my mower.
    I brought the item to a cashier and hesitated. I told her the price was high. I stated that last year, I purchased a filter at a cheaper price. She double checked the cost. It was still sixteen dollars.
    As a matter of principle, I won’t purchase things with outrageous prices.
    As another matter of principle, I shop at small hardware stores. Better to support a local business than those mega chain stores. I’m willing to pay a tad more in price.
    In this situation, two matters of principle were competing. I wanted to support the local store but didn’t want to pay an unconscionable price.
    I told the clerk to void the sale. Hopping into my car, I drove a mega chain store—Home Depot. This action represented a breach of principle. 
    The filter was in stock. Eight dollars! Fifty percent less. I purchased it without hesitation.
    That first hardware store tried to hose me. They lost more than a sale. They lost a customer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment