Sunday, April 26, 2015

Two Sides of Human Nature

    During the last few days, I endured difficult people.
    Telemarketers called my home. I asked them to remove my phone number from their lists. These people didn’t acknowledge my appeal.They hung up while I was speaking.
    A nurse wrote out a prescription for my father. Her handwriting was messy. I asked her for a readable script. I sensed her displeasure with the request. She assured me the pharmacist would understand the writing. I took her word for it. Later I went to a drug store. The pharmacist couldn’t read the script.
    I greeted a clerk at a check-out counter. She didn’t reply. She didn’t make eye contact.
   Not everyone was difficult.
   I walked into a market. An elderly employee greeted me. I responded in kind. He gave me a shopping cart. (In the photo, he welcomes another customer). His cordiality put a smile on my face.
    Many people in this world are ill-disposed. But lots of them are friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment