Saturday, March 21, 2015

Ice Breaking

    The painting at left depicts an ocean liner. Viewing it recalls a memory.
    I once crossed the Atlantic Ocean on the Queen Elizabeth I. A storm hammered the vessel. I swam in a pool below decks while the weather raged. The ship listed big time. But not the water in the pool. Gravity kept the surface level. As I treaded water, it appeared as though the walls in the room were moving on their own. The effect was disconcerting. I found myself floating over part of a wall.
    The man in the photo is an economist. I photographed him for a newspaper. His office is typical of an executive’s work space. It contains artwork.
    When I photograph executives, I first ask them about their art. Right away they relax. I’ll then broach a related subject. This approach leads to a better portrait.
     I can’t say for sure, but that ship in the photo resembles the Titanic. Four smokestacks are visible. A radio mast stands above its bow.
    Ice broke up the Titanic. Now the ship breaks the ice for conversations in someone's office.

No comments:

Post a Comment