Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Less at Stake


      Citizens are encouraged to shovel out fire hydrants near their homes. Some people cooperate, others do not.
     While strolling through a neighborhood, I happened upon a snow covered hydrant. Right away, I sensed why nobody had cleared away the snow. Across the road stood an apartment building. Renters lived there, not homeowners.
     Renters have less at stake in a town than do home owners. I know this disconnect from experience. For much of my adult life, I rented an apartment in another town. I never felt a strong connection with that community. I did, however, involve myself with the Catholic parish.
     My lasting connection has remained with my hometown. I have since moved back there, residing in a house.
     Last week I shoveled out a fire hydrant.

No comments:

Post a Comment