Thursday, April 24, 2014

Double Dose of Inspiration

        The runner caught my eye. Using crutches for support, Larry Chloupek 53, approached the halfway point of the Boston Marathon.
     I've photographed lots of marathons. I can't recall seeing a runner with crutches. Most disabled athletes use wheelchairs or prosthetic devices. Chloupek couldn't use a prosthetic because his amputation had occurred at the hip. Bone cancer was the cause.
     His grit inspired me.
     Stefan Carisson, a runner from Sweden, came from behind. He turned toward Chloupek and offered a thumbs up. Thanks to that Swede's sportsmanship, the scene offered me a double dose of inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous01 May, 2014

    Thanks Christopher. It was an amazing experience and one that my wife and I will never forget. The crowd support was unbelievable. Larry Chloupek

    ReplyDelete