Saturday, June 15, 2013

Dogged Persistence

 
   Failures are bogging down my pursuit of a dream.
   I've endeavored to become an author of young adult fiction. My first manuscript racked up a slew of rejections from literary agents and publishers. Undeterred, I submitted short stories to magazines. Those efforts led to more kicks in the literary butt.
   Inspiration comes in the strangest places. While driving in New Hampshire, I noticed a musher and his huskies. They were training without snow. A buggy substituted for a sled. No doubt about it, this man was paying his dues. Who knows, perhaps him and his dogs will someday win the Yukon Quest Dog Sled Race.
   For me, the beat--or beating--goes on. I'm penning a second manuscript. Next week I'm attending a writing workshop in Utah. Like that musher, I'm paying dues and honing a skill. My outlook is hopeful despite the possibility of more failures.
    While drafting this manuscript, a line of dialogue popped into my head.
   'A failure never fails.'

No comments:

Post a Comment