Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Mixing Politics with Prayer



      A prayer to God and a Pledge of Allegiance. That's how presidential campaign events begin.
     When a minister or priest leads these invocations, I bow my head in reverence. But all too often my head snaps back into position before the prayer finishes. This reaction happens whenever a clergyman asks God to grant an election success to a candidate.
     These supplications for victory happen at least fifty percent of the time. Clergymen ought to keep political bias out of these prayers.
     The photo was taken during a prayer at a Paul Ryan campaign rally. I can't remember the preacher's exact words, but he requested divine guidance for all the candidates.
     My head remained bowed for the duration, well, after taking the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment